Eileen D. Millett
Eileen D. Millett practices in the fields of environmental law, compliance counseling, permitting and litigation.
- Advises clients on project development, environmental due diligence, and permit issues, and assists them with avoiding adverse enforcement actions by federal, state or local government agencies
- Counsels clients in complex regulatory matters, including OSHA audits and enforcement actions
- Assists in assessing and managing environmental risk associated with business or real estate transactions
- Focuses on reducing liability for response costs and other economic damage in private party environmental causes of action
- Counsels clients on avoiding risk by adopting sustainable development policies and climate change initiatives
Ms. Millett is a member of the American College of Environmental Lawyers (ACOEL), a professional association of preeminent lawyers who practice in the field of environmental law, recognized by their peers as the best practitioners in their field. She is a former Trustee and Secretary of the Environmental Law Institute (ELI), an international independent research and education center that advances environmental protection, and a member of the ALI-CLE Environmental Advisory Panel. For several years, as a Visiting Professor of Practice at Syracuse University College of Law, Ms. Millett taught environmental law and regulatory law and policy for student attaining joint degrees in law and public policy. She is former staff counsel to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and member of the Hazardous Waste Task Force. A former general counsel to the Interstate Environmental Commission, a tri-state water quality authority, Ms. Millett also served as a New York State Assistant Attorney General, NYC Police Department Assistant Deputy Commissioner, NYC Department of Personnel Inspector General, and Queens Assistant District Attorney.
- Department of Justice Hitches Environmental Crimes to Worker Safety Violations, The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, July 2016
- J.D., Syracuse University College of LawSyracuse University College of Law Scholarship, International Law Certificate; member of Jessup Moot Court Team
- B.A., Syracuse University
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association (Fellow), Section on Environment, Energy, and Resources
- American College of Environmental Lawyers
- Environmental Law Institute, former Trustee and Secretary
- Jewish Child Care Association, former Trustee
- Municipal Art Society Law Committee, former Member
- New York City Bar Association, Chair: Environmental Law Committee; Energy Committee (2002 -2005)
- New York City Environmental Law Leadership Institute, Board of Advisors member
- NYS Sustainability and Green Procurement Advisory Council, Executive Order #4 by gubernatorial appointment
- NYSBA: Environmental Law Section
- Air contamination claim: Successfully resolved toxic air emission claims against a global sports and fashion business.
- New York State Superfund matter: Negotiated a consent decree for a multinational document imaging and production company, a potentially responsible party (PRP) ordered to pay for investigation and cleanup; advised on contribution rights against the former bankrupt site owner.
- Environmental due diligence: Handled environmental due diligence for a tax credit syndicator, reviewing environmental site assessments (ESAs) and advising on compliance for redeveloped distressed properties throughout New York City.
- OSHA compliance audit: Counseled a cosmetics manufacturer on developing material safety data sheets and a written hazard communication program to classify potential hazards of chemicals, communicate protective measures, and engage in employee training.
- Ms. Millett is an editor of the New York State Bar Journal and a former member at-large of the Executive Committee of the Environmental Law Section. She is a former Co-Chair of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) Committee on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar and a member of the NYSBA Task Force on Climate Change. She has also chaired the New York City Bar Association’s Environmental Law Committee.
- In addition, Ms. Millett has written and coauthored articles for legal and business publications; is a member of the faculty of HalfMoon Seminars, where she regularly offers her environmental overview lecture for engineers; and is a contributor to several business and industry publications, including the New York Law Journal, Practical Real Estate Lawyer, New York Real Estate Journal, Bloomberg BNA Daily Environment Report, and Westlaw Journal Environmental.
- New York State Bar Journal
- Practical Real Estate Lawyer
- New York City Environmental Law Leadership Institute