Joseph E. Imbriaco concentrates his practice in the areas of wills, trusts and estates, and estate and gift taxation.
Joseph E. Imbriaco has specialized in wills, trusts and estates, and estate and gift taxation, since his admission to the bar.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Imbriaco has lectured extensively in the area of estate planning, wills and trusts, including seminars for the Practicing Law Institute (NY), the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, and the New York State Bar Association. He has written in the field, including Recent Tax Changes Redefined the Simple Will, 130 N.J. Lawyer 42 (Sept. 1989) and as editor for Estate Planning for Subchapter S Shareholders, 17 Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Journal (Winter, 1982).
Mr. Imbriaco has acted as counsel in a number of appellate cases involving trusts and estates, including In re Estate of Anne Boyd Lichtenstein, 52 N.J. 553, 247 A.2d 310 (1968); In re Estate of Maude F. Thornton, 169 N.J. Super. 360, 404 A.2d 1222 (App. Div. 1979); and Bessemer Trust Co. v. John S. Phipps, 165 N.J. Super. 76, 397 A.2d 708 (App. Div. 1979).
He has served as an expert witness and has been appointed by the courts as guardian ad litem for minors in trust and estate litigation in a number of matters before the courts of this state.
Outside the trust and estate field, Mr. Imbriaco was appointed by the Supreme Court as a trustee of Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts (IOLTA) from 1996 to 1998, serving as Chairman in 1998, and as a founding member of the Housing Authority for the Borough of Madison, Morris County, New Jersey.
Mr. Imbriaco has and AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell and has been named as a Super Lawyer since 2006 in the area of Estate Planning and Probate. He also has been included on the list of Best Lawyers in America since 2006 in Trust & Estate law.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1957
- A.B., University of Notre Dame, 1954maxima cum laude
- New Jersey, 1959
- New York, 1958
- The American Law Institute Member Since: 1988
- Consultative Group for Restatement of the Law of Trusts, 3rd and Restatement of the Law of Property Donative Transfers, 3rd
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel Member Since: 1983 Fellow
- Committee on State Laws and Chairman of Subcommittee on State Income Taxation of Trusts
- International Academy of Estate and Trust Lawyers Member Since: 1991
- American Bar Association Chairman, Committee on Pre-death Estate Planning, Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law (1973-1985)
- Probate Committee of Essex County Bar Association Chairman
(1976 - 1977)