Sergio D. Simões
Sergio D. Simões concentrates his practice in civil litigation, labor & employment, employee benefits, and real estate practice.
Sergio D. Simões joined the firm in September 2007 and was elevated to partner in 2015. He concentrates his practice in civil litigation, labor & employment, employee benefits, and real estate practice.
He also has significant experience in appellate practice, having successfully drafted memoranda of law for appeals before the Supreme Court of New Jersey and the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
Prior to joining the firm, Sergio served as a law clerk to the Honorable Thomas N. Lyons, New Jersey Superior Court Appellate Division. Sergio also served as an intern to the Honorable Kenneth C. MacKenzie, New Jersey Superior Court, Morris County, Chancery Division, General Equity Part.
During law school, Sergio was an intern at the Government Law Center of Albany Law School, the Albany County District Attorney’s Office, as well as the Albany Law School Health Law Clinic. He also served as a research assistant to a Professor of International Law and has been acknowledged for his research assistance in the Canadian-published Osgoode Hall Law Journal.
Fluent in Portuguese, in 2004, Sergio completed a Certificate program in European Union Law at the Universidade Católica Portuguesa in Lisbon, Portugal. His analysis of the economic circumstances in Portugal and the European Union generally, was recently published in a new book by Joao M. Andrade titled "De Cidadao para Cidadao - Portugal 2033", released in Portugal in September 2013.
He received his Juris Doctorate from Albany Law School in 2006 and graduated with highest honors from Seton Hall University in 2003 with a Bachelor of Arts degree.
He is admitted to the bars of the State of New Jersey and the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- New Jersey’s Complex Business Litigation Program Offers Significant Benefits, New Jersey Law Journal, May 25, 2015
- J.D., Albany Law School of Union University, 2006
- Certificate, Universidade Católica Portuguesa , 2004
- B.A., Seton Hall University, 2003summa cum laude
- New Jersey, 2006
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2006
- Super Lawyers©, Rising Star – Civil Litigation Defense (2010-2013);
(This award is not approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Selection methodology is available here)
- In re Borough of Spring Lake Coastal Jurisdictional Determination, Docket No. A-6034-12T3 (App. Div., Feb 4, 2015)
- Casey Pellicer v. St. Barbabas Hospital, et al., 200 N.J. 22 (2009)
- Portugal-US Chamber of Commerce
- Portuguese American Chamber of Commerce
- Portuguese American Leadership Council of the United States