Lindabury, McCormick, Estabrook & Cooper, P.C., is a mid-sized general practice law firm, located in Central New Jersey. We provide litigation and transactional counsel to a broad spectrum of clients, including global private and public corporations, national commercial insurance firms, health care institutions, trade associations, employee benefit funds, banks and financial institutions, nonprofit organizations, privately held businesses, professional corporations, and individuals in the New Jersey and Mid-Atlantic region. We are committed to providing quality legal representation with a focus on personalized service and a firm commitment to practicing law with the highest of ethical standards.
Number of Attorneys: 58
Year Established: 1954
Law Firm Network Member: LEGUS (www.leguslaw.com)
Jurisdictions in which Attorneys are Admitted to Practice
New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, District of Columbia, Florida, North Carolina, Massachusetts
Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as Civil Trial Attorneys
- John H. Schmidt, Jr.
Representative Litigation Matters
- Obtained defense verdict in lawsuit seeking insurance coverage for silica-related claims.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in a complex professional and environmental liability case involving potential seven figure exposure
- Legal counsel to a consortium of National Trade Associations that worked with the Financial Accounting Standards Board to finalize new Financial Statement Disclosure Requirements for all Employers in the Country who contribute to Multiemployer Plans.
- Obtained summary judgment in numerous asbestos liability lawsuits and helped maintain a low litigation profile for an equipment manufacturer.
- Negotiated a $1.2 million settlement with the School Development Authority for contract funds and change orders due, including a claim for general conditions due to project delays.
- Successfully handled 5 audits with the Employee Benefits Security Administration of the U.S. Department of Labor for clients in both New Jersey and out of state.
- Obtained judgment for majority shareholders’ right to buy out minority shareholder in corporations valued at $3.2M.
- Obtained summary judgment for a physician in significant federal litigation involving False Claims Act, Medicare fraud and third-party liability claims.
- For a fiduciary liability insurance carrier, negotiated complete withdrawal of $930,000 claim against single employer pension plan for alleged plan losses claimed by U.S. Dept. of Labor.
- Obtained a $1 million settlement on behalf of a construction client for contract funds owed, including disputed work items.
- Negotiated a settlement of $2.5 million with a self-storage company in an oppressed shareholder’s suit.
- Settlement of claimed IRS liability of more than $300,000 for $9,600.
- Selected for national representation of a major insurance carrier placed in conservatorship proceedings, with aggregate claims well into eight figures.
- Successful defense through trial of multi-million dollar claim asserted for breach of a software development contract.
- Successful defense (dismissal on summary judgment) of an insurance company client and its chemical company insured in a federal superfund litigation involving a site with a past and projected cleanup cost of over $30 million.
- Commercial arbitration of multiple claims and issues arising under a $30 million acquisition agreement and associated vendor and other agreements.
- Represented owner in refinancing of portfolio of 4 medical office buildings
- Represented seller in $3.2 million sale of Assisted Living Facility
- Negotiated on behalf of a State University all contracts and development rights between the University and a county college for a new 5 story academic building. In addition, negotiated a $4 million tripartite agreement for the State University for a new restaurant and catering facility.
- Represented owner/landlord in redevelopment/construction of 524,000 square foot warehouse.
- Represented owner of New Jersey-based biomedical company in a $55 million stock sale.
- Represented purchasing entity in the privatization of a county-owned long-term care facility.
- Hospital consolidation involving Helene Fuld Medical Center and Mercer Medical Center.
- Obtained a Private Letter Ruling for a New Jersey hospital which allowed for use of $16 million in additional tax exempt bond proceeds.
- Represented a hospital system in a $755 Million mortgage loan to finance the construction of a new state-of-the-art hospital.
- Represented a New Jersey chemical manufacturing company in a $30 million senior credit facility.
- Represented a large industrial power user who achieved nearly $1 Million in annual savings in its electric bill by purchasing generation from a supplier other than its local utility.
- Represented a New Jersey telecommunications company in its $22 million asset sale.
- Represented a New Jersey pest control company in its $110 million asset sale.
- Served as hospital counsel for a New Jersey hospital’s $131 million bond issue.
- Negotiated the elimination of a $250,000 withdrawal liability claim made by a collectively bargained pension plan against a national manufacturing corporation selling a subsidiary.
- Hospital consolidation involving Elizabeth General Medical Center and St. Elizabeth Hospital
- $20 million securities offering by regional education business to raise expansion capital
- $40 million acquisition of company with operations in 23 states for healthcare client
- $10 million sale–leaseback financing for private education company.
Business Associations to Which We Are Legal Counsel
- New Jersey Assisted Living Council - Robert S. Burney
- Gateway Regional Chamber of Commerce - James K. Estabrook
- Girl Scouts Heart of New Jersey – John H. Schmidt, Jr.
- Mechanical Contractors Association of New Jersey - James K. Estabrook and Edward J. Frisch
- National Subcontractors Alliance, Greg K. Vitali, Attorney Counsel
- New Jersey Subcontractors Association- Greg K. Vitali
- New Jersey Chapter of Professional Women in Construction – Greg K. Vitali
Nonprofit Boards on Which Attorneys Serve
- American Subcontractors Association, Greg K. Vitali, Past Chairman of Attorney's Counsel
- Children’s Specialized Hospital - John R. Blasi, Honorary Trustee (former Chairman)
- City of Summit Naming Opportunities Committee – John W. Cooper, Member
- Community Foundation of New Jersey - John R. Basi, Legal Advisory Committee
- Court Appointed Special Advocates of Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren Counties, New Jersey, Inc (CASA) - Richard R. Width, Founder, Trustee, and President
- CPC Behavioral Healthcare - Kathleen M. Connelly, Member
- Elizabethtown Healthcare Foundation - Richard W. Width, Trustee
- Gateway Regional Chamber of Commerce – Elizabeth E. Manzo, Member (former Board Member)
- Hemophilia Services, Inc - William R. Watkins, Secretary Board of Trustees
- Hometowne Television – Monica Vir, Board of Trustee
- Imagine, A Center for Coping with Loss – Ken Soriero, Board of Trustee
- Kean University Foundation – James K. Estabrook, Member
- Kean Foundation Medallion Society - Elizabeth E. Manzo, Trustee
- Lauren Danis Eldernet Project - Gary F. Danis, Chairman
- Linden Industrial Association - James K. Estabrook, Secretary
- National Subcontractors Alliance – Greg K. Vitali, General Counsel
- New Jersey Community Resource Center, Inc. - Robert S. Burney, Trustee
- Overlook Grants Committee – John W. Cooper, Member
- Overlook Annual Gifts Committee – John W. Cooper, Member
- Overlook Hospital Foundation - John W. Cooper, Board of Trustee
- Planned Giving Committee of the Overlook Hospital Foundation - John W. Cooper, Chairman
- Portuguese American Chamber of Commerce of New Jersey, Sergio D. Simoes, Board of Trustees
- Regional Plan Association - Jerry Fitzgerald English, Trustee
- River Valley Waldorf School - David R. Pierce, Chairman Board of Trustees
- Robert Wood Johnson Healthcare Corporation - John R. Blasi, Board of Trustees
- SAGE Eldercare - John W. Cooper, Financial Committee Member
- SarahCare Adult Day Health Center – Elizabeth E. Manzo, Member, Advisory Board
- Summit Area Public Foundation - John W. Cooper, President and Member
- Suburban Chamber of Commerce – John R. Blasi, Board of Trustees
- The Enright Melanoma Foundation - Elizabeth E. Manzo, Trustee
- The John F. Byrne Foundation, Inc. - John R. Blasi, Board of Trustees
- The Hummingbird Foundation, Inc. - John R. Blasi, Board of Trustees
- The Mount Pleasant Cemetery Company – David G. Hardin, Board of Managers
- Visual Arts Center of New Jersey –John J. Delaney, Jr., Board of Directors
- Westfield Area YMCA - John H. Schmidt, Jr. and Kenneth J. Soriero, Member Board of Directors
- Westfield United Fund- John H. Schmidt, Jr., Member
- YWCA of Eastern Union County - John H. Schmidt, Jr., provides legal services
Other Official Positions Held by Attorneys
- Borough of Mountainside - James D. DeRose, Municipal Judge
- District XII Fee Arbitration Committee - John M. Boyle, Panel Chair
- Special Ethics Master of the New Jersey Supreme Court - Jay Lavroff, 1998-present
- New Jersey State Bar Association - Robert S. Schwartz, Former Chair, Tax Section
- Union County Bar Association - James McGlew, President , 2004
- Union County Bar Association - Jay Lavroff, President , 2003
- District XII Ethics Committee - James McGlew, Chairman, 1999-2000
- District XII Ethics Committee - Jay Lavroff, Chairman, 1996-1997
- Union County Bar Association - John M. Boyle, President, 1979