New Jersey Local Counsel
Lindabury’s litigation team routinely serves as local counsel to out-of-state law firms and the clients they represent. Over the years we have represented corporations and individuals clients in a wide range of complex disputes. Lindabury places the highest priority on providing exceptional client service with the highest ethical standards.
Having practiced in New Jersey for more than 60 years, we have a long history of litigating throughout all of New Jersey’s state and federal courts. Our experience and familiarity with local practices and procedures can be an indispensable asset to firms and their clients less familiar with the nuances of the New Jersey practice.
Lindabury attorneys regularly represent clients in the three vicinages in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey – Newark, Trenton and Camden. The firm’s offices, located in Westfield, Summit and Red Bank, provide us with a strategic footprint for representation in the state. We understand the local rules and are familiar with the practices specific to local judges and magistrates. We have the ability to advise and assist at every level of state and federal court in New Jersey.New Jersey Local Counsel Services
Our attorneys understand and respect the primary attorney - client relationship and carefully tailor our role as local counsel to align with the needs of clients and their attorneys. We are capable of handling the full scope of services needed by clients in disputes and litigated matters. We provide this representation with our usual core commitment to value: efficiency and effectiveness under a fair fee structure.
As your New Jersey local counsel we can:
- act as attorney of record
- prepare and file motions including pro hac vice admissions
- assist in filing of Case Information Statements (“CIS”)
- advise on strategy and local rules
- ensure compliance with time periods for filing discovery
- advise on New Jersey discovery protocols including the protection of draft expert reports and communications between attorneys and experts
- As local counsel, we partnered with an international IP boutique based in Chicago to represent a Fortune 50 pharmaceutical manufacturer in a patent licensing dispute pending in U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, Newark
- As local counsel, we partnered with an AMLAW 100 law firm in New York City to represent a leading multinational medical device developer in its defense and indemnification from being included in a Multidistrict Litigation consolidated in U.S. District Court Southern District of West Virginia
- As local counsel, we partnered with a AMLAW 100 law firm in New York City to defend a leading IP networking and broadband access provider against a shareholder derivative action filed in U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, Newark
- As local counsel, we partnered with a AMLAW 100 law firm in New York City to defend a leading IP networking and broadband access provider against a sexual harassment suit filed in Middlesex County, New Jersey
- As local counsel, we partnered with a Nebraska based firm to represent a large national lender on many civil litigation disputes filed throughout New Jersey, including a recent multi-million dollar dispute regarding the commission paid on a commercial lease
- As local counsel, we partnered with a New York law firm to successfully defend an automobile re-seller in a class action brought under New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act filed in Hudson County, New Jersey
- Currently serving as local counsel in Morris County, New Jersey to a fire suppression contractor in the defense of a multi-million dollar construction defect claim brought by a condo association against the general and subcontractors
- Currently serving as local counsel to a Minnesota based drilling company in a dispute with a general contractor over payment and delay impacts arising from a public project installing electrical cable beneath the Hudson River
- Currently Serving as local counsel for a Massachusetts-based company in defending a trademark infringement case in the District Court of New Jersey.
- Currently Serving as local counsel in successfully prosecuting a commercial collection matter for a Colorado-based company.
- Currently Serving as local counsel for a company based out of Mexico and defending a breach of contract claim.
- Served as local counsel and second chair/trial counsel for a mid-western-based bank in successfully prosecuting a replevin action, foreclosing on the bank’s security interests and collateral, and also defending various counterclaims asserted by the commercial borrower. The counterclaims were voluntarily withdrawn on the third day of trial after a significant evidentiary ruling in favor of the bank was granted, barring the borrower from offering any evidence of its alleged damages.
- Served as Local counsel in a Superior Court action for a Michigan-based company involved in a dispute over a commercial lease for space located in Newark Liberty International Airport. The matter was successfully settled during discovery.
- Served as Local counsel for a national seat-belt manufacturer defending a products liability claim. The matter was successfully resolved by way of a motion for summary judgment based on spoliation of evidence, resulting in a dismissal of all of the Plaintiff’s claims.
Our attorneys are regularly peer reviewed by Martindale-Hubbell and Chambers & Partners and have been selected as New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; New Leaders of the Bar (New Jersey Law Journal) and Best Lawyers in America. We have many long standing relationships with members of the New Jersey State and local County bars, and our attorneys have held leadership positions in both the state and Union County Bar Associations.
Official positions held by Lindabury attorneys include:
- District XII Fee Arbitration Committee - John M. Boyle, Panel Chair
- Special Ethics Master of the New Jersey Supreme Court - Jay Lavroff, 1998-present
- District XII Fee Arbitration Committee - Stacey Edelbaum Boretz, Member
- Union County Bar Association - James McGlew, President , 2004
- Union County Bar Association - Jay Lavroff, President , 2003
- District XII Ethics Committee - James McGlew, Chairman, 1999-2000
- District XII Ethics Committee - Jay Lavroff, Chairman, 1996-1997
- Union County Bar Association - John M. Boyle, President, 1979
Lindabury’s litigation team includes experienced trial lawyers Certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as Civil Trial Attorneys. Of the 70,000 licensed New Jersey attorneys only 1,600, (less than 2%), have achieved this designation. Lindabury’s Certified Civil Trial Attorney John Schmidt welcomes referrals from both out-of-state and New Jersey attorneys and agree to pay referral fees pursuant to Court Rule 1:39-6(d).
Lindabury welcomes the opportunity to partner with national, international and other out-of-state law firms in the service of their clients with needs for legal representation in New Jersey.