Jerry Fitzgerald English
Jerry Fitzgerald English concentrates her practice in the environmental sector.
Jerry Fitzgerald English concentrates her practice in the environmental sector, including Brownfield’s transactions, policyholder insurance coverage, regulatory issues, Superfund, ISRA, permits, wetlands, air and water compliance, private party disputes and transactions and defense of regulatory matters. She is a former New Jersey Counsel to the Governor and Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Protection.
She has been a special master for the New Jersey courts to review attorney fees and discovery. She is an expert witness for private clients in environmental cases.
She served in the legislative and executive branches of the State as a State Senator, counsel to the Governor and counsel to the New Jersey Senate. She was appointed Commissioner of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. She chaired the Election Law Enforcement Commission. In addition, Jerry serves as a director on various boards, such as the Regional Plan Association of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut and the Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey. She is a member of the National Academy of Sciences' Chemical Events Panel studying the destruction of chemicals at various U.S. Army Depots.
As a co-chair of the American Bar Association Environmental Litigation Committee on eminent domain, she is a frequent lecturer and is a life fellow of the American Bar Association Foundation. She is an editor of the New Jersey Law Journal. Mrs. English was also an adjunct professor at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in a pioneering graduate level environmental problem-solving course. She has been appointed to the New Jersey Institute of Technology's College of Science & Liberal Arts Board of Visitors. She also served as President of the Environmental Inn of Court of New Jersey. In 1982, she was selected as Alumni of the Year by Boston College Law School.
In 2008, she was honored by The Urban Land Institute as Land Use Educator of the Year for her graduate seminar in Environmental Problem Solving at New Jersey Institute of Technology. She taught Environmental Law in Lublin, Poland in 2010 and St. Petersburg, Russia in 2011.
- J.D., Boston College Law School, 1963
- B.A., Stanford University, 1956
- New Jersey, 1965
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 1965
- Super Lawyers©, Environmental Law (2007, 2009-2018);
(This award is not approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Selection methodology is available here)
- Martindale-Hubbell (AV)
- New Jersey State Bar Association Member, Sections on: Environment, Corporate, Administrative and Land Use
- American Bar Association Member, Sections on: Environmental Litigation; International Law; Natural Resources Law; Environmental Law; Co-Chair, Sub-Committee, Hazardous Waste-CERCLA Litigation, Co-Char, Sub-Committee Eminent Domain
- Federal Bar Association Trustee
- Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental American Inn of Court President