Edward J. Frisch
Edward J. Frisch concentrates his practice in all areas of construction/surety law and commercial litigation.
Edward J. Frisch has more than 30 years experience as a trial attorney in matters dealing with all phases of the construction industry and in other commercial litigation.
Ed is a graduate mechanical engineer with 10 years experience in the construction industry prior to his attending law school. During his engineering career, Ed was involved in the design of automatic temperature control systems, estimating, bidding, writing specifications and sales. Ed is a graduate of Seton Hall University School of Law and was a member of the editorial board of the Law Review.
He has extensive experience in all phases of law relating to the construction trades representing owners, general contractors, mechanical and electrical contractors, masonry contractors, and other specialty subcontractors. The firm is general counsel to the Mechanical Contractors Association of New Jersey and the New Jersey Subcontractors Association. Ed and other firm partners represent these associations in various legal matters.
Throughout his career, Ed has been lead trial counsel in many major construction disputes presented before arbitration panels and in the state and Federal court system. He also has extensive experience in public contract law, particularly in bid disputes where he has established some of the leading case law.
Ed has represented major surety companies in claims resolution, and contractor default situations requiring completion of bonded projects. He also has experience in alternate dispute resolution procedures and techniques and his practice has expanded into general commercial litigation on behalf of corporate clients.
In addition, Ed has represented a number of insurance companies in successfully defending major builders risk, property loss claims, and first party bad faith claims. Recently, he was the lead defense counsel in what is believed to be the largest indoor air quality (IAQ) lawsuit filed in New Jersey. This complex multi-party litigation was resolved in favor of the defendants with all defendants being completely exonerated.
Ed has and AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell and has been named as a Super Lawyer since 2006 in the area of Construction Litigation. He has also been included on the list of Best Lawyers in America since 2010 in Construction law.
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 1976
- B.S., Newark College of Engineering, 1971
- St. Vincent College
- New Jersey, 1976
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1977
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 1976
- United States Supreme Court, 1983
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Union County Bar Association
- Robert J. Triffen v. Storr Tractor Company, 2012 WL 1192103 (App. Div 2012)
- Brockwell & Carrington Contractors, Inc. v. Kearney Board of Education and Dobco, Inc. et al. 420 N.J. Super. 273, 20 A.3d 1165 (App Div 2011)
- O’Shea v. N.J. Schools Development Authority, Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, Docket No. A-3943-08T1 (April 27, 2010)
- Alan O’Shea and the Mechanical Contractors Association of New Jersey, Inc., vs New Jersey
- Schools Construction Corporation, New Jersey Economic Development Authority, and the State of New Jersey,. Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, Docket No. A-5459-04T1 (decided and approved for publication October 19, 2006)
- Thoms Group, Inc. v. Wharton Senior Citizen Housing, Inc., 163 N.J. 507, 750 A.2d 743 (N.J., May 04, 2000) (No. A-18 SEPT.TERM 1999)
- Thomas P. Carney, Inc. v. City of Trenton, 235 N.J.Super. 372, 562 A.2d 807 (N.J.Super.A.D., Dec 02, 1988) (No. A-4278-87T5)
- Conforti & Eisele, Inc. v. John C. Morris Associates, 199 N.J.Super. 498, 489 A.2d 1233 (N.J.Super.A.D., Mar 19, 1985) (No. A-3933-83T5)
- D & K Landscaping Co. v. Great American Ins. Co., 191 N.J.Super. 488, 467 A.2d 581 (N.J.Super.A.D., Sep 27, 1983) (No. A-775-82T2)
- Stano v. Soldo Const. Co., 187 N.J.Super. 524, 455 A.2d 541 (N.J.Super.A.D., Jan 12, 1983) (No. A-5910-81-T1)
- Conforti & Eisele, Inc. v. John C. Morris Associates, 175 N.J.Super. 341, 418 A.2d 1290 (N.J.Super.L., Jun 17, 1980) (No. L-51472-76)
- Conforti & Eisele, Inc. v. Division of Bldg. and Const., Dept. of Treasury, 170 N.J.Super. 64, 405 A.2d 487 (N.J.Super.L., June 25, 1979)
- Matter of Vailairco, Inc., 9 B.R. 289, 6 Collier Bankr.Cas.2d 402, 7 Bankr.Ct.Dec.374 (Bankr.D.N.J., Feb 24, 1981) (No. 80-04172 (80-0742))