Steve Backfisch concentrates his practice in the areas of civil litigation and appeals.
Steven Backfisch has more than thirty years of experience, he regularly handles all types of civil litigation including employment discrimination claims on behalf of employers, defense of civil rights claims, catastrophic personal injury claims, and product liability claims on behalf of defendants. He regularly represents clients in civil litigation in the Superior Court of New Jersey, the United States District Courts in New Jersey and New York, and in the state and federal appellate courts. He has an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law , 1980Cum Laude
- B.A., St. Bernard College, 1977Summa Cum Laude
- New Jersey, 1980
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1983
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 1980
- United States Supreme Court, 1989
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Brennan-Vanderbilt Inn of Court Master, 1988-2013
- Gilbert v Seton Hall University, 332 F.3d 105 (2d Cir. 2003)
- Waldorf v. Shuta, 896 F.2d 723 (3d Cir. 1990) (he obtained a reversal of an $8.2 million dollar judgment)
- PT&L Constr. Co. v. Madigan & Hyland, 245 N.J. Super. 201 (App. Div. 1990), certif. denied, 126 N.J. 330 (1991) (he obtained a reversal of a $1.5 million dollar judgment)
- Welter v. Seton Hall Univ., 128 N.J. 279 (1992) (Appellate Division opinion reported at 243 N.J. Super. 263 (App. Div. 1990))
- Paul v. Nat'l Educ. Assn, 195 N.J. Super. 427 (App. Div. 1984), affirming 189 N.J. Super. 265 (Law Div. 1983)