Development, Land Use, Permitting & Construction
Our firm provides comprehensive legal representation to builders, developers and owners of construction projects of all types, from inception to completion and occupancy or sale. Our Real Estate, Environmental and Land Use/Planning Group works closely with attorneys in our Construction Practice Group throughout the process to ensure that the client’s needs and objectives are met. Our representation covers all aspects of real estate development including acquisition, financing, zoning and permitting, contracts, construction administration and claims, and project completion and commissioning.
Our attorneys become involved at project inception, when their experience can help guide the owner through the design and permitting process. In New Jersey’s highly regulated real estate environment, having a clear understanding of local and regional land use regulations and how they may impact a project is of vital importance. Our expertise in land use matters enables us to suggest and evaluate project alternatives and manage the permitting and approval process to a successful conclusion through local boards, county planning boards, and regional and state agencies. We successfully obtain and defend variance, site plan and subdivision approvals, rezoning applications, requests for ordinance interpretations, and environmental permitting for commercial, individual, institutional, residential and mixed-use projects. Our experience also extends to site acquisition, project financing and negotiating and drafting of contacts with design professionals and consultants. When our clients’ interests are impacted by proposed development of neighboring property, we are available to assist in the opposition to such development.
During construction we work closely with our Construction Practice Group attorneys to assist in negotiation and drafting of construction management agreements, general construction contracts, design/build contracts, and agreements with subcontractors and material suppliers. We are familiar with the proper procedures for construction administration and the issues which arise during the course of a project, including issues regarding surety bonds. When disputes arise, we attempt to resolve claims quickly and amicably. However, we are experienced in all phases of alternative dispute resolution and litigation. We also assist with the filing and discharge of mechanic’s liens and related lien claims. Once the project is completed, we are prepared to assist with issues arising during commissioning, and issuance of final permits and certificates of occupancy.
- Represented a national residential builder in the approval of a 150 home planned community in Burlington County New Jersey.
- Represented a developer in connection with the development of a 40 lot residential subdivision in Ocean County.
- Represented developers in the Turks and Caicos Islands in connection with the acquisition and development of a 75 unit condominium.
- Represented a startup microbrewery in obtaining site plan approval and an interpretation of the municipal zoning ordinance to permit the microbrewery use.
- Represented an independent school in obtaining variance and site plan approvals for a 55,000 sq. ft. athletic center.
- Represented a franchisee of a national laundry and cleaning chain in obtaining variance and site plan approvals for a drive through clothes cleaning establishment.