Elder / Disability Law
Elder / Disability Law is the area of law governing issues of particular importance to older or disabled persons and their families. Life at this time often involves consideration of public benefits programs (Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, SSD, and SSI), changes in living arrangements (sale of homes, relocation to assisted living facilities, continuing care communities, and nursing homes), health and financial management issues often with capacity concerns (critical health procedures, long term care, decision-making, powers of attorney and guardianship issues), transfers of assets (drafting and probate of wills, trusts and estates) which often have particular asset protection planning goals in mind (tax implications, special needs trusts, long term care planning).
Decisions regarding these programs and issues have significant financial, legal, health and personal implications. They often involve other family members and loved ones. And, they typically affect an individual’s peace of mind and sense of well-being.
We provide legal advice and counsel to guide you through elder and disability law issues at all stages. Our attorneys are experienced in both those issues unique to the elder and disabled community (nursing homes and public benefits / long term care planning) as well as those related areas which impact upon them (tax, real estate, health care, business, divorce, employee benefits). We remain diligent in staying up to date on this continuously evolving body of law that governs these programs and issues.
We provide personal service that is sensitive to each person’s unique circumstances, and we are committed to finding solutions in a cost-effective manner.
- Estate planning, Estate administration & Estate litigation
- Wills, Revocable and Irrevocable Trusts, Life Insurance Trusts and Personal Residence Trusts
- General Durable Powers of Attorney
- Medical Powers of Attorney, Health Care Directives & Living Wills
- Asset Protection and Medicare, Medicaid, SSD, SSI & Public Benefits planning
- Nursing Home, CCRC and Assisted Living Facility planning
- Disability & Special Needs Trust Planning
- Incapacity & Guardianship / Conservatorship Proceedings